In order to avoid my natural inclination to whine, I’m making another list of things I’m thankful for. Nothing earth-shattering here, but if we wait for the “big things” to happen before we express our gratitude, we’ll find ourselves in a pretty bleak state.
- I’m still walking.
- I’m still writing.
- I’m still riding my bike.
- My wife is doing well after oral surgery. As I waited for her in the office where the procedure was done, I had a sudden urge to pray for her, so I did. She said afterward that at one point during the surgery she started to feel really poorly. She also prayed and it passed. I can’t help but think that’s no coincidence. (I wish prayer always worked that way. That’s a knot for another post.)
- I successfully replaced a flat tire on my wife’s bike! That may not sound like a big deal, but for a klutz like me, it might as well have been repairing the space shuttle.
- A friend in Haiti passed his exam to get his driving license.
- A good friend got a job offer after a very long period of unemployment.
- God is good… all the time.
- Back from camp, my daughter is experimenting with making desserts, especially chocolate ones. As a dutiful father, I am there to test them for her. (I just give and give and give!)
That’s it for now. I didn’t get into the day-by-day stuff like daily bread, great weather, needed rain, shelter, etc. but that is just as important to consider. Since spending time with my friends in Haiti, I don’t want to take any of that for granted.