There is no good reason for this post other than to inform the poor deprived ones out there who aren’t aware of it that today, September 19, is Talk Like a Pirate Day.
To commemorate the day, all you have to do is… well, you know. If you want to don a wooden leg and an eye patch, too, so much the better. (A parrot on the shoulder would be the ultimate!)
Here are a few choice phrases appropriate for the day:
- Avast, ye matey!
- Watch it, ye landlubber, or you’ll be walkin’ the plank.
- Fetch me some grog, me beauty!
- Beware ye don’t end up in Davey Jones’ locker.
…and the classic:
- Arrrrrr! (must be uttered with a deep gravelly growl; waving the hook at the end of your arm adds authenticity)
Use these phrases or make up your own as often as fits the occasion today. You’ll be surprised how often they come up naturally in conversation.
Here are some activities that are also great ways to honor the day:
- Watch Pirates of the Caribbean (only the first; the other two are bilge water – going on the ride at Disney or listening to the soundtrack are acceptable alternatives)
- Sing The Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything
- Host a pirate party
- Seek buried treasure or…
- …bury some treasure
Reading a blog is normally not an approved pastime on TLAP Day, but this one is OK.
Enjoy TLAP Day in its pure state while you can. It’s only a matter of time until Hallmark, Walmart, and their ilk get their greedy little mitts on it and change it into some crass commercial celebration. It wouldn’t be the first time!