I am not thankful for the way Verizon decided to rename the holiday “thanksgetting” in their ads. That’s probably in the spirit of the company’s mercenary marketing and predatory pricing tactics, not to mention the spirit of modern western culture. Makes me glad I dropped their TV, cell, and landline products. Shame on them!
Enough griping about evil corporate entities, a redundant phrase if ever there was one. On to the latest list of twenty things I’m thankful for.
- The carriage trails in Acadia National Park
- The New City Microcreamery (Check it out!)
- Mill 5 and all its tenants, such as Coffee & Cotton, Corn & Co., and Luna
- Fun small movies: What We Did on Our Holiday, Big Game, and Hunting Elephants
- Great small movies: Love and Mercy (my favorite film of the year)
- And at least one good big movie: The Martian (tied for my second favorite)
- YOU, my readers
- My soon-to-be-self-published novel, whose title is in flux (look for it here!)
- Friends from afar, ready to lend a hand and a prayer
- Instagram photos and videos of family I don’t see nearly enough
- Lending Phil a hand
- A long cycling season
- The NE Patriots
- Crawling, babbling babies in the house
- Danticat’s latest (I’ll read anything she writes, including graffiti and recipes.)
- Kai and Jenna – I said that last time, but I can’t be too thankful for them
- Kings Cribbage
- Joe – and a life well-lived
- Faithfulness in the face of faithlessness
As I remind myself each time I brainstorm these lists, there are countless other things that could easily be taken for granted, such as food, shelter, family, fresh air and sunshine (for as long as they last), each breath, and on and on and on. To forget those is to forget God, to Whom and for Whom I am most grateful.
Have a Thankful Thanksgiving!